Sunday, March 17, 2013

Complete Commitment - Psalms 31:5


"Into thine hand I commit my spirit:
thou hast redeemed me, 
O Lord God of truth."
Psalms 31:5

Here we find the Psalmist committing Himself to the Lord and what He has planned for His life. This is not the only time we find this particular commitment in the Bible. We also find it in the lives of at least two others in the Bible.

We encounter it as Jesus hung on the cross: 
“And when Jesus had cried with a loud
voice, he said, Father, into thy hands
I commend my spirit: and having
said thus, he gave up the ghost.”
Luke 23:46

And also Stephen uttered these last words as he was stoned to death:
And they stoned Stephen, calling upon
God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive
my spirit.” Acts 7:59

In all three occasions, we find complete surrender. In two of the three occasions we find surrender, even in the face of death: my Lord and Stephen. Such a commitment is a complete surrender, no matter the costs. David was committed because his spirit had been redeemed. To him, his redemption was of great value. A value that was so great, it required a full, complete surrender.
So what about me, what about you? Jesus has paid the ultimate price for redemption – his life of the cross. What does that mean to you and me? We have been redeemed when in reality, we were doomed to die and we deserved every bit of our punishment. But amidst the punishment we deserved, God looked down on His people, His heart filled with compassion for the dear ones that He had intricately created. Each individual soul meant so much to Him and it hurt Him to know that without a Redeemer, each one would die…but the story doesn’t end there. Praise God!

He sent a Redeemer. His beloved & Only Son!

I tremble when I recognize what I deserved, but by the grace of God, I have been saved. Seeing this, I realize that my daily life needs to be in complete surrender to the One who redeemed me. Such surrender is a daily moment by moment surrender to the perfect Will of God. My cry should equal that of the Psalmist:
“Into thine hand I commit my spirit:
thou hast redeemed me, 
O Lord God of truth."
Psalms 31:5

Am I committed to God’s story? Or am I determined to have my own story?

My heart's cry - I surrender all!


Blessings as you surrender! Pray for me! I am praying for you!

Andrea

2 comments:

  1. I really appreciated your thoughts on this chapter, Andrea! Thanks so much for sticking with this study and for continuing to post about it. It really blesses my heart that you are joining me in this endeavor. I always look forward to the encouragement I will get from your updates! :-) I hope to post my updates for the first of this chapter soon! I certainly will be praying for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melinda, it has been a wonderful, sometimes painful journey through Psalms. There is so much there for the Christian. I have really been enjoying this journey. Looking forward to your update. Prayers sent your way!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Some days it can just be ramblings, but I hope it has blessed you! "For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ" Ephesians 4:12. Blessings!