Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thursday Thoughts

A friend sent me a message this evening, asking me to watch the video below:


I will be the first to admit that God spoke to me, asking me to evaluate my life in regards to modesty. Modesty is one of the traits that identifies a Proverbs 31 woman. To me, modesty is not just about how I dress, but about so much more. 

Modesty:
(Brothers refers to Brothers in the faith, our Christian brothers)

In dress - We are created as beautiful ladies. We have been intricately designed by the Creator of the universe. However, we are responsible to cloth our physical being appropriately. Tight-fitting clothes, short skirts, low bodices are used by Satan to tempt our brothers in their thoughts. Modestly attired is not about wearing baggy, extra-large clothing, but about be covered appropriately, allowing a brother to focus on your conversation without being tempted lustful thoughts.

In spirit: What is it to be modest in spirit? No, it does not mean to be backwards or withdrawn, but rather it is having the love of Jesus radiating on your face. I personally know some sisters who are modest in spirit and bubbling over, willing to talk to anyone, and then there are some that are quiet, but one look at their face will reveal the love of God that fills them. So sisters, you can be outgoing or quiet, and still be modest in spirit. Be who God has created you to be!

In speech/actions: Are you one who checks your reflection in the mirror numerous times before going out with friends? Or bat your eyelashes when a cute fellow come into the room? We all desire to be loved and be a vital part of a man's life, but too often the way we go about it is wrong. So what is modest in speech and actions? Yes, we do need to care about our physical looks, but what is really is important is what is inside. Being modest in speech and actions is being friendly with our brothers and talking to them when they approach, but avoiding flirtatious speech, continuous batting of eyelashes, and such things. How we act when we are with them at a youth function is often our good behavior, thus being who we really are is what God desires. Being who we truly are is the key to modesty in speech and actions.

To close, I bring this challenge to you: 

He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes. I John 2:10-11 KJV
In hearing this brother share what is on the heart of many of our brothers, as well as is the desire of our Eternal Father, I took a step back and looked at modesty in my life. I was convicted of several of these areas in my life and I was burdened to share what God laid on my heart. There is so much to learn about being modest, that I barely have skimmed the surface. 

Feel free to ask questions!

Blessings, Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Some days it can just be ramblings, but I hope it has blessed you! "For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ" Ephesians 4:12. Blessings!