Thursday, June 3, 2010

#17 Rain, Mother's Day, Planting

This post was an email update that was sent out during my time spent in Nicaragua from 2009 to 2011. I started posting them here when some of my friends who had not received them, wanted to see and hear about the work there: Post One of Nicaraguan Updates.

 
I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth. He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber. Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep. The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand. The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul. The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore. (Psalm 121)

    The other day as I was biking into La Palmerita, I looked out across the land and my eyes came to rest on Volcano Momotombo. As it lay there on the horizon, I was once again reminded of it vastness and the power that is contained within the volcano. My mind was then drawn to our Holy Father and His  attributes - the power He contains in His hand. How often do we take for granted His power? The power: to heal a life, to take a life, to destroy a city...the list could go on and on. I know too often I tend to think on His kindness and mercy and feel to remember that He is also a powerful God that could take a life at any second. Am I...are you lifting your eyes to the hills from where our help comes? Are we relying in God for our strength and guidance?
Last week, on Monday morning we went to Johanna's shortly after 6:00 to plant watermelons in her field. We had Randy, Richard, Jason, and Roger were digging the holes and I was putting the fertilizer in the holes. Johanna and Virginia then planted the seeds. However after planting several rows we decided that it was too muddy and we would wait to plant the rest until Tuesday. Tuesday morning Virginia and I went back out to help. Roger, Jason, and I dug the holes. Johanna put in the fertilizer and Virginia planted the seeds. I was amazed at how fast it went. However when it started raining the seeds either drowned or washed away :(
    This past week we received an abundance of rain. It started raining heavy Tuesday night through Friday. Saturday through Monday it rained on and off.  Wednesday and Thursday we spent most of our days in the house or in the hammocks wrapped in blankets, reading, and sipping tea and soup. Wednesday morning Nick and Hans were playing the water until Hans fell and got all wet. We didn't have church on Wednesday evening due to the rain. Jason was going to take Randy's to CAM and pick up his parents. The only way he could get here from La Palmerita was on the horse. However through most of this storm we did not lose electricity. That was a blessing!
    Friday morning Jason brought Johanna from La Palmerita and she started baking cakes for Mother's Day. As soon as they were baked they went straight to the freezer to cool down so Virginia could decorate them. However as usual the morning of Mother's Day you always seem to have people coming and saying - "I need a cake for my mother. Can't you make me one?" We ended up making 7 cakes on Mother's Day.
    On Sunday afternoon we had a church activity at Campo Medico with those from Leon. We played several rounds of Frisbee Football together. I enjoyed playing as it had been a long time since I had played Frisbee Football. Afterward we all went back to the church and had supper. A big thank you to Karen, Denise, and Andrea for the the supper. It was great. We sat around and spent time talking and having fun before going our separate ways. It was a great time of fellowship and fun.
                                          
    On Monday morning we woke up to no electricity. Jason was planning to take his parents to Leon for the morning and Virginia was going along to spend time with Karen so I decided to ride along. I didn't have that much to do, but there wasn't that much I could do with no electricity and no water. When we got to Leon, I went and visited with Yolonda (She is an older lady and school teacher. She is a member of the Leon congregation.) I had a great time with her and time passed so rapidly. From there I stopped it with Andrea and ended up staying there and helping her with her laundry. I had a great time and enjoyed my morning. From there, we headed to Rota to show the town to Jason's parents. We spent time visiting with Juan and his wife there before heading back to El Tererro #1. However we were not able to get through the road into Malpaisillo as the road was washed out so we went around through some fields. However once we got onto the flats, we ended up having to stop as we had a problem with the 4-wheel drive. We spent quite a bit of time there till they got it fixed. But praise the Lord, we got back to the house all in one piece.
    Yesterday morning we spent time at the church cleaning as the floors were all covered with dried-on mud from the storm we had. Jason & Ramon had to pull all the water up by hand as the rope was stolen from the pump once again. Johanna and I worked in the Sunday school building and the others worked on the church floor. Both required a good deal of scrubbing. Johanna kept me busy carrying buckets of water for the floor. After we were finished, it sure looked better and smelled clean.
    This afternoon we are heading to Managua to take Jason's parents to CAM and to pick up Mike & Esther and their family at the airport. It was great having Jason's parents here and I enjoyed it very much. I got to know them better. Thank you for coming to visit and stay with us. Thank you to Mike's in advance for coming and living with us for the next several weeks. God bless both of you!
    My next email is due the week I fly home so I will try and send one once I am home. Blessings to all of you as continue walking with the Lord wherever He may lead in these next weeks.
Until the next time, Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. Some days it can just be ramblings, but I hope it has blessed you! "For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ" Ephesians 4:12. Blessings!